Top 25 Things to Try This Fall
Ready for fall? If you are looking for ways to embrace the festive fall season, we've got you covered! From date night to family outings, crafting to movie night, here are 25 great ways to pumpkin on.
When someone asks me if I’m ready for fall…and I’m already ensconced in my Hello Pumpkin sweatshirt sippin pumpkin spice latte from my seasonal mug planning my next visit to the pumpkin patch and 31st screening of Hocus Pocus….please.
If you’re looking to get into the fall spirit, too, here are a few ideas to slide into the pumpkin season, from outings in the crisp morning air to cozy nights at home by the fire.
2. Visit the Texas State Fair for concerts, fried foods, games, and a host of family fun!
3. Don your favorite fall coat and boots and go for a walk in the foliage. Some great spots to explore include
- Dragon Park
- The Trinity River Audubon Center
- Lakeside Park along Turtle Creek
- Oak Lawn Park
- Katy Trail
4. Plan a picnic in a beautiful basket. For a touch a whimsy make it a fall themed feast like:
- Pie picnic - bring you r fall favorites from bourbon pecan and pumpkin to chocolate cream and pumpkin spice buttermilk pie
- All pumpkin, all the time, from pumpkin squash soup to pumpkin spice scones and pumpkin sopapilla cheesecake
- Soups in thermoses paired with a fall charcuterie spread, including cranberries, rosemary baguette slices, hot honey, apple butter, roasted walnuts, warm brie and pumpkin cream cheese
- Fall brunch with pumpkin scones, pancakes, and sticky buns, rosemary brioche French toast strips, and mini thyme and turkey quiches
- Cold rosemary chicken almondine, apple slaw and rosemary pear tarts
5. Visit the Harry Potter Forbidden Forest experience and cast a spell on someone you know!
6. Bake seasonal cookies, breads, and pies - Check out my In the Kitchen - Desserts section for some fun new recipes.
7. Journey back in time for Old Time days in Farmersville, TX for antiquing, pies, and more!
9. Take family photos in a fall photo shoot. These will make great memories for generations…and can help you get a head start on designing your Christmas cards
10. Make a fall craft - whether you’re crafty by nature and DIY or you prefer a class, fall is a great time to hand make a garland, paint a fall sign or tray, finger knit a pumpkin or throw, or learn how to decorate cakes and cookies. For great classes, check out AR Workshop, Board and Brush, or Sweets on a Stick.
11. Go treasure hunting at Round Top's Fall Antique Show to discover one-of-a-kind finds, delicious food and enchanting memories with friends.
12. Have a fright night movie marathon (or, if you're like me, a Hallow and Chill non-scary marathon with movies like Hocus Pocus)
13. Attend a hot air balloon festival (New Mexico and Texas are great locations for these, and I can’t wait for the Plano festival this September!!)
14. Update your Christmas Card address list.
16. Visit a haunted house and scare yourself silly.
17. Go on a fall scavenger hunt looking for leaves shaped like elephants, white pumpkins, scarecrows, and more
18. Visit an orchard for cider and fruit picking.
19. Make s’mores over an open flame (or if you don’t have a fireplace or bonfire pit, make them in the oven!)
20. Visit a farmer's market for fresh seasonal ingredients (that you can use for #6 and #24!)
21. Decorate for the season - this can be as simple as adding a fall wreath, an autumnal hued throw and some candles or a full fledged fall makeover with pumpkins, garland, pillows, skeletons and more
22. Plan your Halloween costume or party!
23. Rake a pile of leaves and take turns as a family jump in.
24. Try a new seasonal recipe for dinner - I love getting inspiration from cookbooks, whether exploring a new one or perusing an old favorite like Half Baked Harvest, Magnolia Table, Lost Kitchen and French Country Cooking.
25. Go shopping for fall decor and wardrobe updates! You need cute outfits for all these fab fall outings you’ll be taking! Here are some of my favorite looks right now, and don’t forget to check out my fun fall finds for more great looks!
Whatever you do, make it a memorable family season. Wishing you all the warmest fall vibes for you and yours.