Pumpkin Spice Scones
Ribboned with warm cinnamon crumble, these cozy fall scones are perfect for brunch, tea, or cozying up with your next book.
Easy to make and feathery soft, these delicate scones melt in your mouth. The dough can be made in advance in preparation for a tea or brunch, but the can be made from scratch quickly. These I made for a road trip for a girl’s trip
Pumpkin Spice Scones
This post contains affiliate links
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- cinnamon crumble
Note: Mix together 1/4 cup flour, 5 Tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice in a separate bowl then add to dough
- 1 egg (optional)
Note: adding an egg will help scones hold their shape better, but leaving it out, or using only an egg white, keeps the dough softer and fluffier.
- For a fun twist, you can also add 1/2 cup sourdough starter.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon bourbon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line the cookie sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Shred the butter and cut it into the flour mixture. If using an egg, add it in now.
- Whisk in the heaving whipping cream and pumpkin to the dough.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the crumble.
- Gently fold the crumble into the dough and combine just until everything is wet.
- Transfer the dough onto floured surface and form into a flat round about 1 inch thick.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into desired shape (using a pastry scraper for a pizza cut or biscuit cutter for rounds).
- Bake scones for ~18-20 minutes for smaller scones and 20-24 minutes for larger scones.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool.
- Mix the icing ingredients together in a small bowl. Ice sconces once cooled.
So raise your pinkies and enjoy!